Monday, 25 February 2013

Cleansing Your Body With a Juicer: Links to Great Recipes

Okay, I know what you're thinking -- Ron Popeil! (Or maybe Jack LaLane.) Goofy infomercials aside, juicers really are a great way to get healthy. And yes, you can put pretty much any fruit or vegetable into them. However, if you're looking for a body detox, you'll want plants that can do that for you.

I've gotten quite a few requests for great juicer recipes, so I'm going to list and link a bunch for you. I've tried most of these and for others, I've definitely tried the ingredients in varying amounts. These are foods I feel I can trust while doing a body detox. I hope they work for you. Cheers and bottoms up!

First, a Word on Juicers and Detox
You may be wondering if juicing works better than simply eating the fruits and veggies and if so, why.

It's true that general nutrition-wise, it's better to eat the entire food. That's because the whole food contains fiber, which is broken up and/or removed during the juicing process. And we all know that fiber is good for us in moderate amounts. (Be careful of overdoing fiber -- too much can cause severe tummy distress -- ask me how I know this.)

However, for detoxification of your liver, gallbladder and entire system, juicing does seem to be superior. From what I can gather during my years of research and actual use, this is because the actual phytonutrients you get are condensed; in other words, you can take in so much more of them than you could filling up on the whole food. And it's the phytonutrients we're looking at here for the detoxifying properties.

It's like taking a vitamin v. eating the whole food the vitamin was extracted from. You're just getting that much more of the active constituent(s).

When You're Not Detoxing, DO Eat the Whole Food
Keep in mind that even when you're not specifically detoxing, the whole (non-juiced) versions of these foods are quite good for you. So do keep eating your whole fruits and veggies, either during a juice fast in limited quantities, or during normal times, between detoxing.

And Without Further Ado - the Links
Okay, folks - time to get down and get juicy! Here are some great cleansing recipes.

Six great detox recipes for juicers -- the basic recipe serves as a good base no matter what ails you.
Green Detox Pressed Juice - the spinach, apples and ginger are the three biggies here for detoxification.
Nine detox recipes from The Naked Kitchen - the best here (IMO) are Best Face Forward and Refreshing Renewal.
Parsley Energy Explosion - a great one from The Juice Nut.
Daily Detox - substitute lunch with this juice three times a week and you'll feel fantastic. Or take it as breakfast; I personally like something sweeter (think fruits) for breakfast, but that's just my preference.
Clean and Green Colon Cleanser Juice - the recipe is for a blender but juicing will give this one even more punch. It says the parsley is optional but IMO, you should include it for a complete detox.
A Jason Vale detox regimen review.

Let me know how you like these. I lean toward the ones that include fruits as a personal preference (I'm a sweet-a-holic). Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment